A mum has described her hellish stay at a ‘rundown’ hotel after finding unflushed faeces in her bathroom.
Nikki Sheeran says she was shocked to discover she had spent £850 for a six-night stay in a ‘dingy’ damaged room at Britannia’s Royal Hotel in Scarborough.
She claims there was a hole in one of the walls, which she thinks was caused by a punch, and even shards of glass outside her window, Yorkshire Live reports.
As if this was not bad enough, she and her teenage son Ollie also noticed that the milk in the self-service buffet had gone off on their final day, she claims.
The Royal Hotel was once the place to stay in Scarborough, overlooking the seaside resort’s South Bay.
Guests at this once grand venue – opened in the 1830s – included Winston Churchill and poet Edith Sitwell.
Alas, Nikki and her son found the hotel – now owned by the ‘UK’s worst hotel chain’ Britannia – was anything but ‘royal’ during their stay in August 2019.
After a protracted and stressful check-in, single mum Nikki and her son say they found their room overlooked little more than the hotel bins.
And the depressing view turned out to be the least of their problems.
Nikki said the room had unflushed faeces in the loo and litter from the bathroom bin on the bedside table.
After complaining and another wait, Nikki and Ollie were offered another room – but they say it wasn’t much better.
Nikki, 58, from Worthing, West Sussex, said: “The window was propped open with the Gideon Bible, there was a hole in the wall (which looked like someone had punched it), and the bathroom door did not fit the door frame, and the bathroom door handle was falling off…
“There was a gap of almost a centimetre where you could see whoever was sitting on the toilet from one of the beds. My son and I had to tell each other not to look through the door.”
Nikki, a teaching assistant, added: “Outside the window, there was a parapet around the building, and there were shards of broken glass where I presume a window had fallen out, old tissue boxes and an empty milk container which kept blowing around the whole time we were there.”
And during their stay, Nikki said, ‘no attempt’ was made to clean their room. Instead, Nikki said, a bag of clean towels and loo roll was left outside their door.
But according to an email from Britannia customer service: “I did explain in person when I spoke to you that you may have displayed a do not disturb sign on the door rather than a “service room” which would have meant housekeeping would not have gone into service your room or disturb you.”
The email adds: “The ticket could have easily fallen off and another guest put it back on the wrong way.”
And it wasn’t just the room that Nikki and Ollie found to be substandard.
Nikki said: “By the final day, the milk was off in the self-service buffet, so I couldn’t even have cereal.
“Because of the general run-down nature of the hotel, poor hygiene and lack of care in the breakfast room, we didn’t dare chance having an evening meal there.
“The lack of care and poor hygiene also meant that I would not allow my son to use the pool.”
She added: “From Scarborough, we then went on for a few days in York and stayed at the Premier Inn there. What a difference!
“It felt like luxury compared to The Royal. We should have stayed at the Premier Inn in Scarborough instead of The Royal, which was anything but royal.”
Britannia Hotels has been approached for comment by The Mirror.
The chain, which owns 56 hotels, has been named the worst for the eighth year running in a Which? survey of 4,000 guests.
It came last out of 25 major chains, scoring 37 out of 100.